Change the default excerpt length for restricted content
When using the “Hide content only” restriction mode, you can optionally display excerpts of your restricted content to non-members. This is a great way to advertise your premium content and encourage non-members to join.
By default, the excerpt length is set to 55 words, but you can use this plugin to change that default behavior in order to display more or less content, based on your site’s needs.
Using this plugin
After installing the plugin, you can adjust the default excerpt length by going to WooCommerce > Settings > Memberships > General and modifying the Excerpt length field. This field will only appear when Content restriction mode is set to “Hide content only” and Show excerpts is enabled.
As this is a free plugin, we’re not able to offer detailed troubleshooting assistance. We recommend taking the following steps if you don’t see excerpts displayed as expected.
- If you don’t see the “Default excerpt length” setting at all, please ensure that your Content restriction mode is set to “Hide content only” and you have Show excerpts enabled.
- If the excerpts aren’t displayed as expected on a restricted page:
- Please ensure you’re visiting the page as a non-member (e.g., by using a private / incognito browser).
- To rule out theme conflicts, please switch to a default theme, such as Twenty Seventeen, and recheck the page to see if that resolves the issue.
- To rule out plugin conflicts, please deactivate all plugins except WooCommerce, Memberships, and Memberships: Adjust excerpt length, then recheck the page to see if that resolves the issue.
These steps resolve almost any display issue. If you’re looking for assistance with customizing the excerpt display further, we recommend reaching out to Wisdm Labs or Codeable for assistance with these sorts of projects.